Breast implant plastic surgery candidates
Breast augmentation plastic surgery is a procedure where the shape and size of the patient’s breasts are enhanced by the placement of a breast implant within each breast. During the initial consultation, the surgeon will determine the patient’s candidacy for breast augmentation.
The Virginia Institute of Plastic Surgery (VIPS), led by board certified plastic surgeons, provides breast implant surgery to patients in Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Loudoun, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington, Chevy Chase, Richmond, Fredericksburg, and surrounding locations.
A key aspect in establishing candidacy for a breast implant procedure is answering an important personal question. An honest answer to this question can ensure more confidence in your decision to proceed with or avoid a breast augmentation surgery. The question is: “Why do I want breast augmentation?”
While the answer to this question may be easy to answer for certain women, for others it can be uncertain. You may be considering breast augmentation for various reasons. Some of the common reasons for choosing a breast augmentation plastic surgery include a woman’s need to:
- Align the appearance of the breasts with the rest of the body
- Enhance symmetry between breasts that are not the same shape or size
- Feel more confident in your femininity
- Recreate volume in the breasts post-pregnancy, weight loss, or breastfeeding
- Rectify congenital deficiencies in one or both breasts
- Increase self-confidence and enhance body image
- Create volume in breasts that did not develop adequately during puberty (this condition is known as micromastia).
If you have just begun to explore the idea of increasing your breast size surgically, then you may want to consult with a breast surgeon to have more clarity. You may simply want bigger breasts to achieve a more voluptuous figure. This in itself is a good reason to choose a breast augmentation procedure.
Any surgery requires the patient to be in good health. Ensure that you inform the plastic surgeon about any auto-immune disorder that you may be suffering from such as thyroid, diabetes, or any other ailment that could hinder the process of surgery or recovery. Furthermore, your surgeon will evaluate any medications that you use presently which could be detrimental to an augmentation surgery.
An ideal candidate for a breast augmentation procedure will have the following characteristics:
- Does not smoke or is agreeable to stop smoking for a few weeks before and after the procedure
- Is physically fit and in her ideal weight range
- Does not have a tendency to bleed
- Not presently pregnant or breastfeeding
- Does not have pre-cancerous or cancerous breast tissue
The FDA has approved the use of silicone breast implants only in women aged 22 years and over. This restriction includes the gummy bear or ultra-cohesive gel implants as well. But the placement of saline breast implants is allowed in women aged 18 years or more. It is important to note that placing implants in women aged less than 18 years is only allowed to rectify congenital deformities and injuries.
Experienced plastic surgeons at VIPS receive patients from Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Loudoun, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington, Chevy Chase, Richmond, Fredericksburg, and nearby areas for breast augmentation.
Serving Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Fairfax, Loudoun County, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington, Fredricksburg, Chevy Chase, Potomac, Maryland, Richmond, VA and surrounding communities.