Fat grafting not only offer fullness and creates better contours, but it also rejuvenates the overlying skin. This occurs because the own fat is loaded with mesenchymal stem cells. Mesenchymal stem cells are sourced from fatty tissue, and these cells are vital for tissue repair and regeneration.
The size of the graft and its constituents determines whether a graft is a micro or nano graft. The technique for preparation and the effect of the graft varies. Narrow injection cannulas are used in nanofat transfer for a finer effect. The fat used for this procedure is processed into a more refined fat graft, known as “nanofat.”
Virginia Institute of Plastic Surgery (VIPS), led by board certified plastic surgeons Dr. Burton M. Sundin and Dr. Reps B. Sundin, provides nanofat based treatments to patients in Richmond, Fredericksburg, Northern Virginia, and surrounding communities.
- Nanofat injection is typically undertaken under local anesthesia. It will be done under general anesthesia only when combined with other procedures.
- The donor site is infiltrated with a mixture of adrenaline and local anesthesia to reduce post-treatment bruising and discomfort.
- The fat can be harvested by means of liposuction from a body area that has an adequate amount of fat, in most cases this will be the upper legs or the stomach, but it can also be sourced from the thighs, the inner knees, the love handles, or buttocks.
- After administering local anesthesia, which reduces bleeding in this specific site, a very narrow incision is placed, and fat is aspirated via a blunt needle with numerous perforations and a special aspirator. The tiny incision is sealed with absorbable sutures.
- The fat is washed and filtered to segregate oil, blood, and local anesthetic from the fat cells.
- The fat is emulsified by shifting the fat multiple times between two syringes, which are attached to each other by a special connector.
- In case the procedure is undertaken using local anesthesia, the recipient site is injected with a minimal quantity of local anesthesia, after which the fat cells are injected with a narrow needle or a syringe. If the procedure is performed under general anesthesia, no local anesthetics will be administered as it has been seen that the local anesthetics have an adverse effect on the survival rate of the injected fat.
- Skilled surgeons can deliver accurate, steady, and targeted injections of fat in the targeted sites with minimal to no risk of complications.
- In comparison to micro fat, the effect of nanofat typically appears within four weeks to three months after the treatment.
From which area of the body can the fat be sourced?
The area of the body from which the fat is sourced differs between patients, but it is typically aspirated from the lower abdominal muscles or butt when used on the face.
Where can the own fat be injected?
The own fat can be used to fill eye bags, reduce dark circles, address fine lines in the mouth region (wrinkle injection), as well as for buttocks, breast, and general skin rejuvenation. Nanofat indications are steadily increasing.
Cosmetic surgeons at VIPS receive patients from Richmond, Fredericksburg, Northern Virginia, and nearby areas for nanofat based treatments.
Serving Richmond, VA, Fredricksburg, Williamsburg, Northern Virginia, Washington DC, Vienna, McLean, Fairfax, Loudoun County, Ashburn, Tysons Corner, Reston, Arlington and surrounding communities.