Born in Virginia Beach, Dr. Sundin is a native of Virginia. He is a graduate of the Norfolk Academy and went on from there to attend Duke University. He graduated Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Duke in 1993. He received a degree in both Biology and Art history. He continued his career , becoming a triple graduate of Duke University, having completed medical school at Duke University Medical Center in 1997 and his residency in Plastic Surgery at Duke in 2003.
Dr. Sundin is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.Dr. Sundin is trained in all forms of plastic surgery and has completed two advanced fellowships. He is a graduate of the world-renowned Christine M. Kleinert Institute for Hand and Microsurgery where he completed a dedicated hand surgery fellowship. He has also completed an advanced cosmetic surgery fellowship at the University of Alabama at Birmingham,under the guidance of one of the fathers of modern plastic and cosmetic surgery, Dr. Luis Vasconez. While at UAB, Dr. Sundin was given a faculty appointment as an Instructor. He is familiar with all of the latest techniques in cosmetic surgery.
- Board Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery, 2006
- Duke University School of Medicine: MD, 1997.
- Duke University: BS, Biology; BA, Art History, 1993.
Magna Cum Laude
Phi Beta Kappa.
- Norfolk Academy, 1989.
- Duke University Medical Center, Division of Plastic, Reconstructive, Oral, and Maxillofacial Surgery: 1997-2003.
- Hand Fellowship: Kleinert, Kutz, and Associates, Jewish Hospital, Louisville, KY, 2001.
- Aesthetic and Breast Surgery Fellowship: Dr. Luis Vasconez, University of Alabama Birmingham, 7/2003-7/2004.
- Self-employed, Virginia Institute of Plastic Surgery, PC (Dr. Sundin’s Private Practice): 7/1/2008-Present
- Retreat Hospital-Wound Healing Center: Staff, Plastic Surgeon, 8/11/2008-Present
- Charleston Area Medical Center: Locum Tenens Plastic Surgeon, Charleston , WV: 2/2008- 7/3/2008
- Locumtenens.com: 12/2007-Present, credentialed for locum tenens work in plastic surgery
- Richmond Plastic Surgeons: Richmond, VA, 8/20/2004-8/8/2007.
- Sundin B, Hussein M, Glasofer S, El Falaky M, Abdel Aleem S, Sachse R, Klitzman B: The Role of Allopurinol and Deferoxamine in Preventing Pressure Ulcers in Pigs. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 105:1408-1421, 2000.
- Erdmann D, Sundin B, Yasui K, Wong M, Levin L: Microsurgical Free Flap Transfer to Amputation Sites: Indications and Results. Annals of Plastic Surgery, 48:167-172, 2002.
- Erdmann D, Sundin B, Moquin K, Young K, Georgiade G: Delay in Unipedicled TRAM Flap Reconstruction of the Breast: A Review of 76 Consecutive Cases. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 110(3): 762-7, 2002.
- A Chronically Hypoxic and Ischemic Rat Dorsal Skin Flap: A Novel Model for Wound Healing Studies.
American Microcirculatory Society, 1996.
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 1996.
- Delay in Unipedicled TRAM Flap Reconstruction of the Breast: A Review of 76 Consecutive Cases.
Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2002.
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2001, Awarded Best Scientific Poster.
- Microsurgical Free Flap Transfer to Amputation Sites: Indications and Results.
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2002.
American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgeons, 2003.
- Modification of Fibrous Capsule Formation Around Implants Using TempostatinTM (Halofuginone)
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2003
Presented by Kevin Olbrich, Phd. and Ricardo Meade, MD
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Candidate Member-American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Virginia Medical Society
- Richmond Academy of Medicine
CONSULTING AND EXPERT WITNESSING EXPERIENCE:
- Council Member, Gerson-Lehman Group Online Consulting Platform, 2007-Present
Employed via GLG as expert for various companies, consultations performed via teleconference.
- Plastic Surgery Consultant/ Expert, CosmeticProtect Insurance, Venture Specialty Insurance/Markel Corporation, 2008-Present
Provide expert advice regarding plastic surgery procedures
- Multiple legal cases reviewed- 2006-Present
Provided expert opinions and depositions
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Reconstructive Surgery
- Biotechnology and Medical Devices Related to Plastic Surgery and Cosmetic Surgery
- Biotechnology relative to Wound Care and Wound Healing
- Wound Healing
- Pressure Sores
- Hyperbaric Oxygen
- Hand Surgery